One of the most popular snacks out there is white cheddar cheese popcorn. Many people who eat it often wonder if it’s a healthy option when they are searching for something quick to eat.
Eating White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn in moderation can be a good healthy snack for cravings. You are adding calories and fat to your popcorn with the additional white cheddar cheese. IF you pay attention to the label on microwave and ready to eat popcorn then you can easily watch your calories.
In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at the nutritional content of white cheddar cheese popcorn and see whether or not it’s a good choice for a nutritious snack. If white cheddar cheese popcorn is a favorite of yours (like many others), you’ve probably eaten it for a long time. Now you’ll get to know if you’ve been making a healthy choice all these years.
Is White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn Healthy?
Popcorn itself is a healthy snack because it is 100% whole grain and a good source of fiber. You can eat a lot of it without racking up calories, but it becomes a little more complicated when you add white cheddar cheese. Of course, the nutritional content varies whether you’re making it in the microwave or the ready-to-eat version. The additional favoring from the white cheddar typically adds some saturated fat and extra calories. You can expect 2-3 cups to have around 150 calories, 10 grams of fat, and about 200 mg of sodium for many different brands.
Is Microwave White Cheddar Popcorn Nutritious?
Microwave popcorn is a hidden oasis of different flavors to satisfy anyone’s cravings, including the white cheddar flavored variety. Below are a few of the most popular brands with their nutritional content listed.
- JOLLY TIME Gourmet Microwave Popcorn- Otherwise referred to as “The Big Cheez,” this is a favorite in the world of microwave white cheddar popcorn. One cup popped has 40 calories and 2.5 grams of fat (1.5 grams saturated).
- Quinn Snacks Microwave Popcorn- This option is organic and non-GMO. Three cups popped is 170 calories and 11 grams of fat (2 grams saturated), and 210 mg of sodium.
- Cousin WIllie’s White Cheddar Popcorn- One cup of this microwave popcorn has 35 calories and two grams of fat. However, it does have less sodium than the other two options, with 135 mg per serving.
As you see, the microwaved versions relatively mirror each other in terms of calories and fat. Orville Redenbacher used to make a white cheddar microwave version, but it’s no longer produced.
Is Ready-To-Eat White Cheddar Popcorn Nutritious?
Ready to eat white cheddar popcorn is a favorite snack for people of all ages. There is fierce competition not only over which one tastes the best, but whether they are healthy or not.
- Smartfood White Cheddar Popcorn- It would be impossible to discuss white cheddar popcorn without mentioning Smartfood’s brand. It’s one of the most popular out there. This option compares relatively closely with the microwaved option. 2 and 1/2 cups have 160 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 240 mg of sodium.
- SkinnyPop White Cheddar Popcorn- SkinnyPop is another ready to eat brand that is quite recognized. You can eat another cup of this popcorn for the same amount of calories as Smartfood’s variety. 3 and 1/2 cups contain 150 calories, 9 grams of fat, and only 160 mg of sodium.
- Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP White Cheddar Popcorn- This brand is comparative to the others listed, with 150 calories and 9 grams of fat for a serving (2 and 1/2 cups).
Is Ready-To-Eat Or Microwave White Cheddar Popcorn Healthier?
No matter which one you prefer, the microwave and ready to eat white cheddar popcorn varieties are very similar across the board. You can eat a little more with the SkinnyPop brand and it also has less sodium. However, nearly any brand has between 150-160 calories, 9-10 grams of fat, and about 200 mg of sodium. This variety of popcorn tends to be healthier than others because there are no added sugars as well.
Can You Make White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn At Home?
You may be surprised to discover that making white cheddar popcorn at home is quite easy. All you need is some butter, white cheddar powder, and some popcorn. They have popcorn powders available for sale at the grocery store or you can order them online. Start by popping about 6-8 cups of popcorn and placing it in a large bowl. Melt your butter. If you’re trying to be more health-consious you can use light butter or a thin coating of canola oil. Simply sprinkle your white cheddar power over the popcorn and toss. You’ll want to eat it quickly before it sets (which shouldn’t be a problem!) If you want to experiment with some different flavors, you can try mixing cayenne pepper, taco seasoning, or a dash of cumin powder.
Can White Cheddar Popcorn Be Part Of A Healthy Diet?
White cheddar popcorn can be a reasonably healthy snack. Just like anything else, eating in moderation is important. Whether you like the microwave version, ready to eat, or you want to make it yourself, it can be a good option if you’re wanting a snack to fill you up. While you probably shouldn’t eat as much of it as plain popcorn, you can have a good amount without adding too many calories and fat.
If you’re looking for a snack that is satisfying and will get the job done, but don’t want to feel like your diet has been destroyed, white cheddar popcorn might be exactly what you need. It’s inexpensive, easy to make at home or buy in-store, and there are plenty of brands out there competing to satisfy your taste buds. Trying the different ones is probably what you’ll need to do in order discover a favorite.